This is a perfect dish to make if you have a lot of people to feed, it makes a ton! I always make it for barbecues or any casual get together. It’s a big hit, every time!
Kids even like it, to their surprise! 😉
I like to chop all of the veggies the night before, while the cornbread is baking. Store the veggies in a bowl in the fridge until ready to use. The next day all you have to do is cook the bacon, shred the cheese, drain and rinse the beans, drain the corn. Make the sour cream & ranch mix and throw everything together in a large bowl.
It’s a great side dish, but it also makes a great, hearty dip! It’s particularly delish with tortilla or corn
Ingredients & Instructions:
- 1 Box of Cornbread Mix – Or make your own favorite recipe
*I use the 15 oz Krusteaz Honey Cornbread Mix
- Prepare corn bread as directed on the box, but let it bake a few minutes longer than the recipe says, you don’t want it to be too mushy. Cool completely. If I have the time, I’ll bake the cornbread the night before and let it sit out over night, uncovered.
- You’ll need a LARGE mixing bowl to mix all of your ingredients
- To the crumbled up cornbread, add:
- 2 cans of corn, drained (fire roasted is wonderful!)
- 2 cans of pinto beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 can of black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 medium sized bell peppers, chopped – I like to use sweet peppers, but green peppers are delicious, too. Mix them up!
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- half of a vidalia onion, chopped
- 1 – 10 ounce block of medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pkg of bacon, cooked until super crispy & crumbled
- 1 pkg dry Ranch seasoning
- 16 oz Sour Cream
Optional mix in items:
- 8 ounces of chopped fired roasted green chiles or pickled jalapeño
This is best served cold. You’ll want to keep it refrigerated until ready to use. I would suggest using a ceramic or insulated bowl that will help retain the temperature.