This is one of those super easy casseroles that takes very little ingredients, very little prep and very little time to bake. Best of all, everything that you need to make this casserole costs around $12.00 – add a veggie or a salad to serve on the side and you’re still around $15.00. It will easily feed 4 – 6 people, so it’s very budget friendly!
I have a very picky eater to please and he goes back for seconds and thirds, if it’s there! In my household, I get about 4 servings because everyone goes back to get seconds!
From finicky eaters to finicky foodies, this one is a big hit with everyone.
I serve it with veggies on the side, but you could easily add broccoli to this. My recommendation is a simple salad with balsamic vinaigrette.
Here is what you need…
Chicken & Rice Casserole with Crunchy Onion Topping
- 1 (6 oz) box Chicken flavor rice (Wild rice blend is also delish)
- 1 (10 oz) can Cream of Chicken Soup ( or Cream of Mushroom)
- 1 cup (8oz) Sour Cream
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 (6 oz) container Durkee Cheddar or Original French Fried Onions
Optional: Broccoli Crowns – About 2 cups, cooked
Preparation / Instructions:
- Preheat oven to 350 F and butter a 9×13 baking dish
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, remove all of the meat from the rotisserie chicken and shred into chunks and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the can of soup and the sour cream in a large mixing bowl
- Add the prepared rice & shredded chicken – evenly combine all ingredients
- If using broccoli, add it to the mixture at this point
- Spread evenly into the buttered 9 x 13 casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove from oven, evenly sprinkle the french friend onions over the top and bake for 5 – 8 more minutes until onions are lightly browned
- Let sit for 10 minutes
- DIG IN!!!
- Serve with your favorite vegetable or side salad